3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup fancy molasses
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until blended
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar and egg on medium speed until fluffy (about 3 min). Add the molasses and vanilla and beat until blended, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Flatten the dough into a disk and fully wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness, using additional flour as needed. Cut out house shapes and place on baking sheets, leaving enough space between each cookie. Gather the scraps & reroll and cut out more shapes as needed.
- Bake for 15-10 minutes until cookies are firm to touch. Rotate sheets half way through baking. Allow cookies to cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
- Decorate with Royal Icing and your choice of candies!