Are you in the mood for something sweet, but not feeling overly ambitious? Funnel Cakes are the way to go – trust us! The best part is, we are just using our basic pancake recipe so if you’re tired of Funnel Cakes you can just whip up a couple pancakes instead.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a bowl. In a different bowl, add the milk mixture to the melted butter, stirring constantly with a whisk to blend.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten the flour mixture. It should look a little lumpy. This is a thick batter but if it seems too thick, add a bit more milk (you’ll need it to pour nicely from the funnel)
Now to turn your pancake batter into delicious funnel cakes.
- In a deep-fryer, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F (enough oil so your funnel cakes don’t touch the bottom)
- Using a funnel pour about 1 cup of batter into the top (make sure you’re blocking the hole!)
- Start in the centre in a swirling motion to create your funnel cake
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or cinnamon sugar & enjoy warm!