Garlic Scapes are the flower bud that grow out of the top of the garlic plant. They are picked to help encourage the growth of the garlic bulb underground.
Scapes are an awesome bonus to an already delicious crop! They have a slightly milder garlic flavour and can be used pretty much anywhere for anything.
Today we’re sharing the simplest recipe you can whip up in minutes, Garlic Scape Pesto!
Much like the garlic scape, pesto’s are so versatile and can be used in so many ways. Serve it with a charcuterie board, on a crostini or use as a base for pasta!
- 4 to 5 garlic scapes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 pine nuts, toasted
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Combine scapes, basil and half of the oil in the food processor and pulse until finely
- Add nuts and remaining oil and puree.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks
If you’re going to freeze, wait to add the Parmesan cheese until you defrost.