Back-to-school lunch ideas for 2021
Another school year is nearly upon us, and that means it’s time to start thinking about what to make for lunches! The Murphy’s team has pulled together a few of our favourite healthy and easy-to-follow recipes from across the internet that the kids will love to eat and that you’ll love to make!
Best-Ever Grilled Cheese (from bon appetit)
- 2 slices ½”-thick Pullman or other white bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thinly sliced American cheese or cheddar (about 4 slices)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Campbell’s Tomato Soup (for serving; optional)
Place bread on a cutting board and spread mayonnaise over top side of each; this is key to a golden, delectable crunch. Heat a small skillet (nonstick, ideally) over medium. Slide in half of butter. When it melts, place 1 slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, in skillet; top with cheese; season with pepper. Top with second slice of bread, mayonnaise side up. When underside is golden brown, about 4 minutes, turn sandwich and add remaining butter to skillet. Press down on sandwich to encourage even browning and to help melt cheese—be gentle, don’t smash it. Cook until second side is golden brown and cheese is melted. Eat immediately, preferably with soup.
ABC Salad Toss (from Taste of Home)
- 1 package (12 ounces) broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 medium banana, sliced
In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix and salad greens. Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and oil; stir in cheese, apple, grapes and raisins. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Top with banana slices.
One-Pot Mac & Cheese (from Today's Parent)
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 cups finely grated old cheddar
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard , (optional)
- Boil milk with water, butter and salt in a pot over medium.
- Add macaroni. Cook, stirring often, until macaroni is tender, 10 to 12 min. (It’s OK if it’s a little saucy.)
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar, mascarpone and mustard until cheese melts.